Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Un-baking at 10pm

Today was a very hot day in sunny Southern California.  Too hot to turn on an oven and therefore too hot to bake. What is a girl to do in this situation when baking ingredients are calling her name?

RAW DESSERT!

I bought some amazing dates at the farmer's market this weekend and figured that I would make a raw pie crust with them.  Strawberries are also in season (when arent they 'round these parts?) so this evening I whipped up a strawberry creme pie.

I have one of Ani Phyo's raw cookbooks and knew that there were some pie recipes in there, but I couldn't find my copy.  I searched the internet and came up with some different recipes, most of which involved soaking cashews (which I hate) for 2 hours and making a cashew creme. Well, I said no way to that time consuming idea and decided to just wing it. Here is what I came up with.

Crust:  hazelnuts, almonds, dates, pinch of salt all blended in the food processor.
 Filling: strawberries, coconut oil, raw agave syrup, the rest of a pack of almond meal all blended in the Super Awesome Powerhouse Blender (VitaMix baby!)

Smash the crust in a pie pan. Pour the filling in. Put it in the fridge to set up.

I had a small amount of all of this that didnt fit in the pan, so I got some cupcake liners and made 3 mini cupcake pies. I put them in the freezer and am hoping that they turn out like ice cream.





Yeah, they turned out pretty good. So pretty and hot pink.






Mmm, they were tasty too.

No comments:

Post a Comment