Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lent is over, but the baking has not begun

I am working on a show that is taking up sooooo much of my time.  Even though Lent is over and I am back in the sugar game, I just haven't had time to spend over a mixing bowl. But today is different.  It is my first day off in a month or so. I have decided to spend the day cooking and cleaning (feminists rejoice)

The show I am working on requires that 6 ears of corn be shucked a night.  That leads to an abundance of fresh corn that will be collecting dust and rotting on the counter if no one claims it.  I took the opening night corn and decided to make corn fritters, or really, corn pancakes cause I used a boxes pancake mix as a cheat.

I started off cutting the kernals off the cob.  Then I sauted them with some butter (Earth Balance soy-free) just to cut down on the crunch.  Then I fried them up.  They were good but I suddenly had an epiphany.  I wanted something more and so I spooned some batter into a bowl and added some soyrizo to the mix.  I then fried that up and BAM, fried deliciousness.

The top are the plain corn pancakes and the bottom are the soyrizo  corn fritter.  See why I went with the soyrizo!

Recipe:

2 cups Whole wheat pancake mix (from Fresh & Easy)
1 cup plain almond milk
2 eggs
fresh sauted corn
1/4 of a pack of soyrizo (I used the Trader Joe's brand that is a little more spicy then the brand I usually use)
pepper
salt
dried oregano

Mix it up. Fry it.  Drain it on paper towels. Eat up.

I just eyeballed most of the amounts.  I followed the mix instructions on the pancake mix box and so those have the correct amounts.  Everything else was added to the mix in amounts that looked right to me. Play with it and remember, you can always add more of something but you cant take out excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment