Monday, December 20, 2010

Inagurual bake - AKA Beet pie challenge

What:
Beet pie
From:
Pie of the Month website.  recipe found here - http://www.pieofthemonthclub.org/archives/arch_1_beet.html
Why:
Joseph found out he liked beets.  Then he thought "someone should make a pie with them."  The challenge was then issued to me.


Process:
here are the beets after I cooked the shit out of them.  It took soooo long to get these suckers tender enough. Now, I don't actually know how long that was because i kept going back and checking them, but my guess was at least 45 min, but could have been up to an hour and a scosh. 

After cooking them, I had to remove the peels.  How did I do this? With my hands of course.  I proceeded to stain my hands several shades of red/purple, wash them, and stain them again since i had to grate the suckers.  It all looked so gory.  Blood and viscera and a big mess.

"No officer, I swear.  It's not human. It's beets."
 Once all the dirty work was done, I could put together the pie.  Now, really, it was more work then it should have been.  If you (the Royal You) decided to make this then you should make the following changes.
1. dont boil anything. just mix it up in a bowl.
2. substitute some vanilla extract for the damn bean.  I'd say anywhere from a 1/2 tsp to a whole one.
Also know that this makes more then will actually fit in the standard deep dish pie crust, so you can cut everything down a bit

 Now here is the final product. Looked pretty good and smelled really good.



Final Verdict:
Meh.  It tasted like you would think a beet pie tastes.  If you are a person that likes beets, nay, loves beets then this is for you.  It was creamy and vanillay and full of beets. 
I dont think that I will make this again, but I had fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment