Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chai shortbread with a vegan gravy prelude

Got the cooking bug.  After a morning of anxiety dreams, I needed something to get my mind off them, so I cooked and cooked and then baked it up.

Gravy:
I have decided to go on an adventure with nutritional yeast.  It is supposed to be filled with B12 and taste like cheese, so vegans use it as a substitute for sauce/cream like substances.  I found a recipe for a gravy using nutro yeast, whole wheat flour, tamari and a shot of olive oil.  Gross, but I tried it anyway.  The concoction looks like your standard brown gravy.  I skeptically, cautiously, tasted it and then stated, out loud "Holy crap. It tastes like gravy."  It has a pretty intense flavor, but I would make it again.  I am sure it would taste good on mash potatoes.

Cookies:
After that I baked up some chai shortbread cookies from the Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar cookbook.  I have made them once before and despite the crumbly mess they make, decided to make them again.  They are kinda hard to work with, but once you manage to get them on the cookie sheet and squish the dough back together, they come out pretty good.  Hopefully they will pacify the stress that will happen at rehearsal tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment